[rescue] Sun's new policy sucks...

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Thu Apr 7 07:59:30 CDT 2005

>My U80 and my E4500 will have to be happy with Solaris 9... any Linux
>distros worth
>installing?

I've had very good success with Aurora on an SS20.  It made the grade for
several years in a production monitoring role.  Updates and patches were
prompt, and install was a breeze.  All the required tools (compiler and
linker and headers, oh my) were included in the base install, unlike some
other oddball distros I've tried which left them out unless you did a
custom setup.  (I've always found that to be the stupidest thing possible,
leaving out the compiler and linker in particular.  Without that, and the
ability it brings to build your own software, why the heck bother?)

I can also recommend OpenBSD.  Highly.

--
wes will