[rescue] Itanium (v1 not 2) any use?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 12:49:46 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 13:41 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:41:52PM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 00:18 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > > I came across a 4-way Itanium (not Itanium 2) system.
> > >
> > > What OSes will run on this?  Is the chip a real dog or is it OK once
> > > you stay all-64bit?
> >
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 will run on the Itanium 1. None of the
> > other versions of RHEL will. AFAIK, all of the upstream support in 2.4
> > for Itanium 1 is gone (and 2.6 never supported it).
> >
> > I used to have one of those beasts under my desk at work. :)
>
> Can you characterize performance on it?

If memory serves, it was a two way, but I never ran anything on it that
would give general performance metrics. Although, now that I think about
it, I'm pretty sure its still alive somewhere in the company, I'll try
to find it this afternoon. If I manage to find it, what sort of testing
would you like to see?

> And you are saying there is no support for Itanium 1 in 2.6?

Thats right. It was stripped out for Itanium 2 in 2.4, before the branch
to 2.5.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!