[rescue] Ultra 2 upgrade question...

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Mon Apr 4 21:22:12 CDT 2005

on 4/4/2005 7:12 PM Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Sandwich Maker wrote:

>>apples and oranges.  striping - especially across controllers - is a
>>great way to improve disk i/o.  raid5 requires the metadriver to
>>calculate/analyze ecc sums on the fly every time there's an i/o.

> Only on writes, neh?

Depends on the implementation, but all of the ones I've tested perform
the checksum calculation on all read operations, too, to make sure the
data is good.

At least I think they did. That's quite a while in the past and many,
many brain page swaps ago.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
"Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take