[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 30 15:13:54 CDT 2004

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 @ 21:06 -0700, John Williams said:

>     And that is the point here.  People see what they expect to see,
> what they want to see and what they are comfortable seeing.  Your
> experiment didn't prove that sunlight is slightly yellow.

The experiment was never intended to prove anything about the color of
sunlight.  I guess I'm not saying what I intend to say.

Having said that, the Sun is very definitely yellow.  Spectral class G2,
making it slightly hotter and more massive than the average star.  It's
over 2000K too cool to be a white star.

Of course, I really shouldn't have even mentioned that earlier, because
it isn't really why I don't agree with a lot of modern lighting.

The test was designed to see how lighting affected people's vision, and
which they preferred working with.

Bright white light bothered people, and some had obvious trouble with
color recognition and visual tests.  This was especially true with
flourescent lights.

The theory behind "white flooding" an area is that removing shadows and
having uniform light makes it easier to see.  That's not necessarily
true unless you have some particular work that requires that
environment.  For example, surgery or some publishing work.

Artificial lights are not 93 million miles away and diffused by an
entire atmosphere.  They are a few feet away and have very little
diffusion.  I'm not sure matching the Sun's color or even its apparent
color is a proper goal for a lighting system.

In order to flood an area to the level of daylight--which isn't
necessarily a good thing in the first place--you have to use a lot of
lumens, generally far more than is necessary.  It also will never
duplicate what happens outside, so I'm not sure why that's even a goal.

Humans don't need daylight 24/7.

On top of that, a lot of people have this idea that you must eliminate
every possible shadow, surface reflection, and light variation.  This is
not natural, it is not necessary, and for a lot of us it is downright
painful to live in.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]