[rescue] SPARCstation Voyager boot

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Sep 23 15:14:48 CDT 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 13:13, Linc Fessenden wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Goten wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > got hold of one of these machines a while back (for free, no less -
> > and no, it isn't stolen) but I don't have any means of getting into
> > the system. The machine itself runs with no problems, but I have no
> > login details for it.
> >
> > I've tried FreeBSD CD booting, Slackware 9.1 CD booting, Slackware
> > 10 CD booting, Red Hat 9 CD booting and FAT-formatted Linux floppy
> > booting. None have worked (most with "Invalid magic number"
> > errors). I currently have no means of formatting a SCSI-2 hard disk
> > and plugging that onto the external connector, and I don't have any
> > means of booting via ethernet (i.e. remote X access).
> >
> > Help would be nice... >.<
> >
> > Goten
>
> This is *not* an x86 archetecture machine.  It's a sparc.  Try NetBSD
> for sparc 4m on it, or solaris sparc on it or if you're really into
> Linux, redhat 6.2 for sparc or Splack (yes splack, it's spelled
> right).

Or Debian, which is actually up-to-date and maintained unlike Redhat
6.2...  I haven't ever used splack, but I've got a SS5 firewall that
has a copy of Slackware 7.1 for SPARC (the last release for SPARC they
did).  With debian you at least get the "miracle of apt."

Also, it runs quite well on Sun4m and Sun4u boxes (that aren't too
new/high end...never got a Linux kernel to boot on our F6800s).

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org