[rescue] DC Voltage distro

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Sep 22 13:18:06 CDT 2004

" From: Wes Will <wwill at siu.edu>
"
" A lot of the alternative energy people (me, when I can afford it) use
" 48VDC, banks of large-capacity batteries, and only inverters when
" absolutely necessary.  There are 48VDC versions of most appliances, and
" they work quite nicely.  Fluorescent lighting is out, without some fancy
" footwork in the ballast (or an inverter), so most folks in the boonies off
" the grid are using halogens and such now.

fluorescent isn't that hard.  i vaguely recall a 555-timer app note
from ~20 years ago that pumped a series-resonant ckt with the lamp in
the middle.  what i don't recall is how he picked the L and C to get
the right Q etc.