[rescue] DC Voltage distro (Was:SGI Challenge L... )

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 12:52:13 CDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:47:18 -0400 (EDT), Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> Yea, it's kind of like curbside recycling? It creates more pollution
> to recycle the plastic bottles and newspapers than dumping the stuff
> in a landfill?

Does cost of landfill include the cost of dealing the resultant
pollution? The runoff from landfill sites is pretty nasty and you really
don't want it in your water table. I think the EU is factoring in the
cost of pollution into landfill licenses, and the screams are pretty
loud.

As to newspapers, it is about time they stopped using conventional paper
and started using alternatives that cost less in power and pollution to
produce in the first place. Like hemp paper ... but growing the defanged
kind is cheating :)

> Biodiesel seems interesting.

Nice stuff. The smell of it is certainly an improvement over petrol or
diesel.

> The whole idea of very high pressure
> cylinders in a vehicle just doesn't make me feel good, seems like alot

I imagine fire fighters aren't too keen on such tanks either. They
really don't like the kind of high pressure tanks found in industrial
buildings.