[rescue] Re: recycling

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Sep 21 09:21:45 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 02:22:04PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The main benefit of curb side recycling is that the waste *doesn't end
> up in a landfill* - no one claimed it was about saving energy.
>
> I am not an eco-wacko by any stretch (but then again, they might say
> the same thing! ;^), but I actually bring home my recycle cans/bottles
> from work, since they don't recycle in my building. (in my area,
> residential recycling is free, corporate recycling is private, and
> costs businesses $$)
>
> I just took two tubs of bottles and cans to the curb, and about two
> cans worth of cardboard/paper/junk mail, and it makes me feel good
> that they are NOT going to slowly turn into compost in a man-made
> hillside somewhere in Pennsylvania...

And those of us in PA appreciate it.

BTW, in PA at least residential recycling doesn't cover apartment
buildings.  Thus there is no recycling at work for me, nor is there any
at my home, nor was there any at my former apartment.  If I want to
recycle anything, I have to collect it myself and drive it to an out of
the way collection center.  They make it easier for me to dispose of
hazardous waste than they do to dispose of recyclables properly.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/