[rescue] DC Voltage distro (Was:SGI Challenge L... )

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Mon Sep 20 23:47:18 CDT 2004

> It's a fun hack to be able to get one up on the energy suppliers, but
> not really a practical long-term solution to our energy problems.

Yea, it's kind of like curbside recycling? It creates more pollution to
recycle the plastic bottles and newspapers than dumping the stuff in a
landfill?

> Renewable sources, biodiesel and nuclear are probably the solution.
> Hydrogen's a non-starter due to it being unsafe, hard to store, and
> hard to use, never mind it being a net energy loss again.

Biodiesel seems interesting. The whole idea of very high pressure
cylinders in a vehicle just doesn't make me feel good, seems like alot of
potential energy should a valve get knocked off.

> Actually, reduction in use is the real solution, but that's not going
> to happen until we really start to feel the pinch. Even if we get
> limitless energy from a magical source, we'll just have different
> problems caused by all that waste heat we can't dispose of.

Reduction in use probably isn't a good subject for this mailing list :-)

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460