[rescue] Starting Postfix (was: Building Sendmail 8.13.1)Z

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Sep 18 19:47:46 CDT 2004

 Jonathan C. Patschke writes ...
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> > So ... I guess it's installed.  It even sends mail out to
> > the internet.  It
> > won't send local mail, though, claiming the alias db is unavailable.
>
> run newaliases.

It's deeper than that ... the log entries say ...

warning: database /etc/aliases.dir is older than source file /etc/aliases
warning: lookup shel, NIS domain artell.net, map mail.aliases: can't
communicate with ypbind

NIS isn't even installed on the machine, so that "failure to communicate"
isn't surprising.  What is surprising is that it would try.

This is the result of my trying to mail myself on the local machine, i.e.:

 	echo "test" | mail shel

Sending mail to my work account from my laptop, through this machine works
fine, but local mail fails.  I'd expect the opposite.

-Shel