[rescue] Rescue of a life-time.. or the year at the very least.

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Sep 17 22:56:31 CDT 2004

Steve Sandau writes ...

> >>My list of "must haves" is pretty short these days:
> >>Xerox Alto II - pure unobtanium, but one can hope...
> >

> > Has anyone but me ever even seen another machine from that
> > era, the Modula 2
> > machine Wirth was building (and maybe selling) circa 1982?
> > I can't remember
> > the name, but I saw one in a computer store in Atlanta.
> > Mouse, GUI, etc.
> > Open-topped cabinet with big boards ... We we seriously
> > considering getting
> > one to use for doco production, until we found out that no
> > one had any idea
> > how to interface the thing to our typesetter, or to
> > anything else, for that matter.
>
> What kind of typesetter did you have?

Dude, it was 22 years ago.  I have no idea.  It was big, and we discovered
that you could feed it stuff serially at 300 baud, no handshaking.  So we
ended up doing the doco in PeachText (nee Magic Wand) and I wrote a
combination translator/comms program to translate it and send it over.  Then
the typesetting lady did the finishing stuff.

But ... what was it?  I don't remember.

> *sigh* Some of the things I had to let go of...

Yeah.

-Shel