[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 09:39:36 CDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:32:28 -0400 (EDT), Sandwich Maker
<adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " From: Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net>
> "
> " On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> " > LEDs for home lighting are coming, too.  There's a lot of companies that
> " > have LED lighting solutions close to market.  Some of them even allow
> " > you to dynamically adjust the color temperature of your lighting.
> "
> " They're becoming common for traffic uses too.  Lighted signs and
> " car tail lights.
>
> passed a fedex truck just the other night, with its flashers on.  they
> were all led arrays, back and side!  only the fronts were still bulbs.

There getting quite popular on motorcycles which generally
have issues with their electrical systems and the load placed
upon them.  Having white LED "headlight" arrays for a
reasonable cost would be very helpful.

LED arrays have also been "hot" for a while in the spelunking
scene, since they can be made waterproof/impact proof much
more easily than lamps.

I can't find the link right now of the one I had seen a few
years back that was quite expensive, but googling for "LED"
and "caving" or "spelunking" turns up quite a lot, including
some home-grown efforts for you hackers.

In the household, though, a lot of the energy efficiency
gains of switching to LEDs (and in using other DC devices)
 is lost in the inefficiency of the AC-to-DC converters.

=Nadine=