[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Thu Sep 16 12:50:57 CDT 2004

On 16-Sep-04, at 12:08 PM, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

>> Well, I let it run overnight once without any ducting, and the room
>> was
>> warmer than normal, but not that bad. But that was with no load and in
>> it's current configuration (16x195MHz R10k). In a couple of weeks it
>> will be getting a bit of an upgrade (12 more processors, 1GB more
>> memory) and I hope to have it running next week (I keep putting off
>> installing the OS, because it's such a pain) at that point, I will at
>> least load SETI to keep it busy, so we will see what kind of heat it
>> puts out.
>>

> Can the XL indeed take more than 16 R10k procs? I was under the
> impression
> 36 was in mind for R4400-250mhz, but with the R10k 195mhz CPUs 16 was
> the
> limit? Or maybe it can hold 36 but the backplane can't really keep them
> fed well.

The docs say it can take up to 36 R10k processors and 16GB Ram, but
that requires the third card cage which I don't have. I have 15 Ebus
slots to fill, so it will be either lots of CPU's and less memory or
more memory and less processors (until I can afford 2GB MC3's).

Their is a good chance I will use one of the 4xR10k boards in an Onyx
instead (4xR10k, 512MB, IR, MCO should make a nice machine).

>> I have quite a few machines running in the room, lots of which are
>> clients machines (I run a hosting/co-locating company on the side) and
>> I can't have my toys cause problems with their machines.
>
> I'm in the same boat. Moved stuff out of my house to a small office,
> unfortuantely the power service isn't as big as I would like. However,
> it
> can definitly still deliver a bigger bill than I can handle so I guess
> it
> is a good thing.

Well, I am VERY lucky, they are charging me a flat rate for power and
it's _REALLY_ low, so I hope to be able to run the machines 24/7.

>> One thing that surprised me was the lack of heat the e450 generates. I
>> was expecting much more heat (and noise) out of it.
>> shawn
>
> 3 power supplies installed? We have two E3000s but they haven't been on
> for a long period. One was up for a while and I didn't notice any heat
> increase, but it can be hard singling out one system.

Nope, just two. it only has two disks in it now, but it will get more
in the future at which point I will pick up a third PS. It does have
4x300MHz processors and 1GB Ram now. I am still figuring out Solaris,
so it isn't used much.