[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Sep 15 17:53:24 CDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> It's a pity that something-besides-air isn't used as a common heat-transfer
> mechanism for domestic use.  I've often thought of having some sort of
> "heating and cooling bus" that would let, say, the refrigerator transfer its
> surplus heat to the water heater, etc.

I've wondered about something like that as well.  If my fridge, freezer,
or Coke machine were modified to work like split air conditioners,
they would slightly cool the house in the summer instead of helping
to heat it up.  Living where I do now I can't implement it, but when
I move I'm hoping one or more of them can sit against the garage wall
and I can position the coils on the other side of the wall (in the garage)
by extending the plumbing a few inches where they attach to the fridge.

>  Given that you can use heat to cool
> (else how would "Servel" refrigerators work), or to generate electricity
> (reverse Peltier junctions), it would seem worthwhile to develop such
> things. Those of us with "big iron" at home could be at the forefront of
> such development, since we have, ummm, surplus heat to burn....

How about a ground sourced water cooling bus for systems?

Scroll down to "Water Cooling":
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/coolsites/

-DanD

# "Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily.  All other 'sins' are
#  invented nonsense.  (Hurting yourself is not sinful- just stupid.)"
#        -Lazarus Long