[rescue] Question about Iomega NAS Server

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:43:41 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:47:59 -0500, Zach Lowry <zach at zachlowry.net> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2004, at 12:34 PM, velociraptor wrote:
>
> > Zach, another thing you might look at is the Snap Server
> > <http://www.snapappliance.com>.  I used one of the 1U servers at
> > a contract job @ the end of last year.  It wasn't great for what they
> > thought they could use it for, but for SOHO and small workgroups,
> > it'd be fine. And it *is* embedded Linux.
>
> Well, I asked about these not too long ago on the list, and some folks
> boo-hooed them. To me, they seem similar to the Iomega offering, except
> for the fact that I know that these are upgradable. Do you happen to
> know the difference between the models? There's a 4100 and a 4200, and
> the only difference I can see is the initial capacity.

That was probably me.  Really, it all depends on what you are using
it for--SOHO would be a fineuse .  The group I was working for wanted
to use it for CVS pulls, and they were already complaining about the
slowness of locally attached UltraSCSI on a Sun.  Then there was
the problem of authentication.  It was some weird setup where if
you were using it for NFS and NT shares, you couldn't point it at
NIS or LDAP, iirc.  It was either point it at an NT domain controller
or a local UNIX password.  I'm hazy on this, but it was something
I thought odd b/c it was linux under the covers.

I don't know the difference between the models; I believe we had the
4100, but am not sure.

> > The rack mountable one has one PCI expansion (SCSI card for
> > tape drives).
> >
> > Recent ones are probably out of your price range, but maybe
> > something off ebay with some bigger drives slapped in it?
> > Google around and see what kind of hacking is going on with
> > them.

Also I found some stuff about upgradeablity of older Snap Servers.
It looks like the 2000 will handle it easily (again, though, no slot
for backups)--you just have to dd/clone the original system disk
and do some Snap Server reinit voodoo via the web debug console.

I would expect the "bigger" boxes would allow you to do this as well,
and they support RAID 5.

Tiny URL:
<http://tinyurl.com/4dwcn>

Original URL:
<http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1929&page=1&pp=25>

Gives some details.

Another alternative might the the Cobalt Qube's--but I know they are
pretty popular for their "hackability" so that might be more expensive.

=Nadine=