[rescue] A new distributed project.]

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Wed Sep 15 13:45:32 CDT 2004

> Yep, that's why I ended up running Distributed Folding, instead. Since I
have Stanford connections, I'd love to run Folding at Home, but the big
> IRIX box is the one with the spare cycles, and F at H doesn't support IRIX. DF
> does.

Yep, I was going to donate 16 processors of Origin 2000 towards their
cause (Well, until I got my last power bill -- working to reduce the power
bill, then will get back to thoughts of powering on the Origin 2000).

> Ditto most of the other distributed computing projects I've found.  They
all
> do Windows, next is Linux, then OS X, then Solaris.  By the time you get
down to Solaris, though, you're talking about a very few projects.
Beyond that, the pickings are slim, indeed.

Yup. You would think they could use the unix port to build the Mac, Linux,
*NIX and BSDs. Windows is the bigger outcast.

> tiny, slow Solaris machine ditto, and a bunch of SGI horsepower sitting
around doing nothing.  Heating season is coming on, so I'd like to put
the SGI stuff to work....
> -Shel

Yea, during winter I have to run the air conditioner :-( Office is sealed,
there aren't windows.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460