[rescue] Re: Toolkits

erie erie at shelbyvilledesign.com
Mon Sep 13 21:19:55 CDT 2004

Comments inline...

> Actually I prefer to own my tools.  That way I control by whom and
> where they get used.  Plus I am particular about my tools.
>
> Wrenches - in a data center you always need sockets and wrenches.  I
> go for my second choice Craftman.  Snap-On is better but since I
> maintain a complete set both at home and work, Craftsman will do, and
> it's cheaper.

Now what about helping the American economy? Or the true American
way--go into as much debt as you can.  (just kidding,
I can understand and if it wasn't for the 100k part 179 expensing rule,
I'd probably have Craftsman too.

> Screwdrivers - I actually need four types.  Klein for larger sizes,
> Wiha for esd, precision and insulated.

If you get a chance, look at SnapOn's smaller screwdrivers, puts every
other one I've used to shame.

> Pliers - Two types.  Hakko for small cutters, Klein for most others.
> I've used Ideal, Craftsman and others but through 27 years as an
> electrician I developed a definite preference for Klein tools.  Now in
> a new career, I still prefer them.
> Strippers- Ideal fixed hole type.  I've got versions that cover #36 to
> #6.
> Cable tools for punching down - Harris Dracon, accept no substitute.
> Also for butt sets, can wrenches and other telco type tools.  I do use
> Progressive Electronics toner tracers and testers.  I also have a
> Test-Um set that will identify multiple jacks at a time.
> Meters - One word, Fluke.
> Soldering tools.  I use Hakko.  A lot of people like Metcal but they
> are too pricey for the amount of soldering I do.  I also just picked
> up a Hakko SMD rework station off ebay.  Since I do occasionally do
> board level repairs, I also have a 10x/20x stereo microscope.  Hey I'm
> over 50.  And I refuse to wear bifocals.
> Flashlights - an assortment of Mag lights and a couple of new LED's.
> Other stuff - Pana-vise and various heads, dry wall saw, Roto-zip saw,
> Dremel tool, hand nibbler, 1/2" & 3/8" drills both corded and
> cordless, roto-hammer drill (we have to anchor racks to the floor),
> cordless Sawz-All, two fish tapes (one metal and one fiberglass), hole
> saw kit, hacksaw. oscillioscope, logic probe set, bench power supply,
> variac, pc board drill bits, RS232 breakout box, FRS radios, Cat-5
> cable testers, B&D cordless screwdrivers that run on AA batteries, a
> lot of driver bits, BX stripper, conduit benders, tubing cutter, AMP
> crimpers and dies, pop rivet set, Greenlee knock-out set, Tap-con
> anchor set.
> And a large Sears roll around tool box with good locks.
>
> James

erie