[rescue] Sick HP48G

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Sep 12 18:51:37 CDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 06:25:17PM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 06:39 PM 9/12/2004 -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> >Anyone have any troubleshooting/service tips for a HP48G?  Mine appears
> >to have spontaneously developed a fault, and will not power on.  I knwo
> >of no troubleshooting or hard-reset procedures for the HP48G (I've tried
>
> I think the reset button is under one of the rubber feet.
>
> http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/faq/48faq-4.html

That document was exactly what I needed.  The first thing I discovered
was that the display contrast had been set to 0 (small fingers, I
assume).  After resetting that, though, the 48G was now, it turned out,
stuck in powered-on state and would not power off.  A warm start (ON-C)
was ineffective; the calculator would power on and off after executing
the warmstart, but not consistently and only with great difficulty.  A
complete cold reset (ON-A-F) cleared the problem, and my 48G is now
responding normally again.

This leads me to wonder what in blazes the owner of the aforementioned
small fingers *DID*.......

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net