[rescue] For sale: Cray, two Challenge XLs, switch for trade,

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Thu Sep 9 10:19:46 CDT 2004

> Yes, some forewarning so maybe we can have a multi-regional rescue
get-together while you are up here.
> Anyone heard from Dave after the last hurricane thrashing
> =Nadine=

I dropped him an email but have heard nothing. My parents aren't too far
North of him and at last check they still didn't seem to have phone
service. A scratchy all circuits are busy.

Probably not too much unlike our run in with isabele this time last year.
Power was out everywhere. Some places were dark for 16+ days. Cell sites
had no power, or had no fiber backhaul as our major metro network company
(Cox Fibernet) uses SONET rings. The fiber line is chained along business
to business, repeated by powered nodes in the DEMARC / wire closet. When
power is lost to two of them on the same network, everyone inbetween goes
dark...
Cox couldn't get hold of the people that ran such facilities to get backup
power hooked up, and a huge number of sites were offline.

The cool thing is we actually had service because our little clubhouse is
right next to Cox's building, so we aren't on a ring but are directly
attached.

Down side is we didn't have power for 3 days, and can't afford a genset yet.

Many hospitals, cell sites, schools, ISPs were offline.

--
: www.757tech.com  757 Technologies  (757)233-9460