[rescue] Today's rescue

Dan Williams williams.dan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 18:38:02 CDT 2004

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:36:51 -0500, Steve Hatle <shatle at nfldinet.com> wrote:
> Responding to a posting from our local FreeCycle list, I went out at lunch
> today and came home with:
>
> "homer" - VAX 4000-705A
> "bart" - VAX 4000-200
> "marge" - VAXStation 4000-90
>
> Also an R215F expansion pedestal, and a stack of OpenVMS folders/CD-ROMs
> from 1996 through 2001.
>
> I'm a total VAX noob; some googling shows these are QBUS/DSSI machines. All
> were supposed to be running when decommissioned "a couple of years ago". I
> didn't get a chance to do any inspection when I loaded them into the car.
>
> So- expect a large amount of questions when I get them unlimbered! <grin>
> Not sure if I'm ready to climb into VMS big-time; at least one will
probably
> end up running *BSD assuming everything is supported.
>
> Doing my part to save iron from the landfill,
>
> Steve

It's a shame, it seems in the UK it is mainly 4000/60 and 400/300 and
500 that are around. Apart from the enormous amount of 3100's. I have
seen a few 700's on ebay in the US. Nothing over here though. I nearly
paid to get one shipped over here last year but common sense prevailed
and I never. I managed to get a couple of 90's from Germany but
everything else is elusive. Well apart from a 7000 which the guy
want's #500 for and periodically emails me to see if I have changed my
mind.

Dan