[rescue] rescue projects VAX-4000/500, DEC PDP-8e, DEC PDP-11/44, etc...

Isaac isaac at pobox.com
Wed Sep 8 12:12:05 CDT 2004

The last versions of Digital UNIX (okay, tru64 if you must) that
supported the DEC 3000/500S are 5.0a and 4.0G - the latter appears to
have more current support as 5.0a had a short life before 5.1 was
released. You may find 4.0G to be more comfortable on the 3000. A
hobbyist license for tru64 is $100, IIRC.

NetBSD will work, but on the serial console only. Linux won't run on
TURBOchannel Alphas at all. The DEC 3000 is a fine machine, and I
recommend trying to pick up Digital UNIX to tease out its full
potential.

-Isaac