[rescue] Ultra 2 power and cmsd question

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Tue Sep 7 17:54:18 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 05:41:47PM -0500, Ryan Thoryk wrote:
> First of all my trusty Sun Ultra 2 has been having some strange power
> issues lately.  I've been checking the power contacts inside, peripherals,
> and drives.  What happens is that the system has a tendency to just shut
> off completely at random times.  It used to be much more regular; about 5
> minutes after I started it up, but now after checking it I've got it to
> stay up for maybe a day without problems.  Has anyone had similar issues
> with any Sun machines?  There can't be any overheating problems (all 4

I assume that you are checking /var/log/syslog to ensure that you are
not getting any messages about that.  On my Ultra 1, I had messages
about "thermal shutdown" until I added another small fan.

> My second question is this: is anyone familiar with a good alternative to
> the Solaris calendar server (rpc.cmsd) that runs on Linux/x86?  I've been
> planning on setting up a centralized network calendar service, but am
> trying to have it run on the Linux server.  Some client software I'm
> planning on using with it include dtcm, possibly Ximian Evolution, etc.
> The Linux box is running Debian Woody.

There is a port of CDE to linux, so you could in theory run the CDE
calendar client against the rpc.cmsd you have running.

Aside from that, I only know of groupware packages that use a web
server interface.

--Patrick