[rescue] VAX 11/780 on Ebay

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 7 14:41:10 CDT 2004

I don't know that much about the PIXAR hw, but I was under the impression
that these were nothing more than a co-processor, all the I/O and general
purpose stuff such as compiling and program setup had to be done through a
host. I only read papers on the CHAP which are the guts of the system and
they seem to be nothing more than a SIMD machine doing the gfx microcode.

The few online references I have found state that the pixar is/was used as
a co-processor:

http://www.specktech.com/PixarImageComputer.html

I am pretty clueless about the differences between the PIXAR I and II
though so you may be correct.