[rescue] Today's rescue

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Tue Sep 7 14:36:51 CDT 2004

Responding to a posting from our local FreeCycle list, I went out at lunch
today and came home with:

"homer" - VAX 4000-705A
"bart" - VAX 4000-200
"marge" - VAXStation 4000-90

Also an R215F expansion pedestal, and a stack of OpenVMS folders/CD-ROMs
from 1996 through 2001.

I'm a total VAX noob; some googling shows these are QBUS/DSSI machines. All
were supposed to be running when decommissioned "a couple of years ago". I
didn't get a chance to do any inspection when I loaded them into the car.

So- expect a large amount of questions when I get them unlimbered! <grin>
Not sure if I'm ready to climb into VMS big-time; at least one will probably
end up running *BSD assuming everything is supported.

Doing my part to save iron from the landfill,

Steve