[rescue] VAX 11/780 on Ebay

Isaac isaac at pobox.com
Tue Sep 7 13:28:46 CDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 10:20:42PM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > There is another interesting piece of hardware on ebay too:
> >
> > A P.I.X.A.R image computer!
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1247&item=5121044537
>
> I'm fairly certain the seller is smoking crack about the price,
> especially since he says it is non functional.

I'm pretty sure he's wrong about the number of surviving image computers
as well. ISTR these machines were most commonly deployed with to medical
NMRI scanners. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that several were still
in service based on the expenses involved in certifying a suitable
replacement.

> I would love to get one of those someday, but I'd strongly prefer that
> it be intact.

Ditto.

-Isaac