[rescue] E4500 questions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 3 15:41:30 CDT 2004

> From: haroldkarl at juno.com
> Date: 2004/09/03 Fri PM 03:51:14 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [rescue] E4500 questions
>
> I just bought an E4500 and promptly found two of the heat sinks off
> the 501-4882 system board... googling found Sun memo saying it
> was a repair item (dated 4/01)...
>
> Anybody have suggestions/recommendations for this problem? Can you
> re-glue the heatsinks (with what)? just replace the board?

I'd suggest looking for a replacement board, since you don't know if they fell off while the machine was in operation (possibly baking a part or two), or in transit (easily the most plausable explaination) - either way, the loose heatsinks are a symptom of a larger problem (rough handling), the extent of which is unknown right now...

Of course, having said that, I'm sure I'd consider starting the machine with them off ;^)