[rescue] NetApp home users

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon May 31 22:56:42 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 04:31:47PM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> The F230/330/500-series machines are old enough now that used ones should
> be cheap, but they've long fallen off software support, so your software
> choices stop at ONTAP 5.x.  These too use SCSI shelves and drives.

You *can* run 6.1.3 (AFAIK) on a 520, but its one of those "nyah nyah I
didn't hear you *cough* it might work yes *cough*" things (per my NetApp
SE from work).

> Yes, it's noisier and bulkier than other solutions, but that's why it
> lives in the basement. :-)  And yes, if you only have one or two computers
> in the house it's silly to have such a fancy/expensive file server on the
> network, but when you've got 10-20 machines (at least 5-6 in continuous
> use) it's silly NOT to!

Exactly - I've only got two machines running 24/7 at home right now; once
I get the garage redone (and air-conditioned) this fall along with the rest
of the house, the NetApp may live out there.

> And besides, the bottom line is NetApps are just freakin' cool.  :-)

I will never disagree with you there.  We just got through migrating from
a 760 to a 940 at work a month and a half ago.

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas