[rescue] More on the Crimson video

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun May 30 22:11:20 CDT 2004

On May 30, 2004, at 9:05 PM, Francois Dion wrote:

> Francois Dion wrote:
>
>> I had erronously tought the Crimson's output was 3BNC. Seems it's the
>> 4BNC section that's an output. The 3BNC RGB has an alpha on green,
>> not sure what that's really for. Neither the 3bnc or 4bnc will work.
>
> I was checking which port on the DG1 was connected to what, and
> they've been wrong all this time. I wired the 4BNC to the middle
> connector on the DG1 and I'm now getting the monitor to wake up after
> about 12 seconds on power up. The bad thing is that I'm getting a
> bunch of vertical lines. Sync is fine, just that it is displaying
> vertical lines at regular intervals (possibly every other pixel or
> something).
>
> Bad board? This is a VGXT with 2 RM3 and GE6/GM3/DG1.

Grab a 3 BNC or 4 BNC to 13W3 cable.  Leave the 4th BNC dangle... hook
R, G, and B, up and plug it into a Sync on Green capable display.  I
had an SGI branded Sony tube. It's not composite sync... it's SOG only.
  The display is generated on the 2nd or third connector down from the
top on the DG board.  You should ideally have 3 RM3's on a VGXT, but
that doesn't necessarily matter.  All you need are the red, blue, and
green signals.

Andrew