[rescue] Testing

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Sun May 30 21:07:54 CDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 11:33:07PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> > Carl R. Friend <crfriend at rcn.com> wrote:
> > > Von Braun was a perfect target given his background. He was also
> > > viciously satirised in "Dr. Strangelove". "Mein fuhrer! I kan valk!"
> > > I don't think that Stanley Kubrik got in trouble for that, and
> > > that's a *lot* nastier than Tom Lehrer's ditty.
> >
> > Well, yeah, but /Dr. Strangelove/ didn't actually *name* him, merely
> > created a character that was identifiably him.
>
> Actually, I always thought that character was supposed to be Edward
> Teller.

It almost seems like a combination of both (some people even point out
that Strangelove was based on Kissinger, but he was far too obscure of a
character at the time the film was done to be a possibility).

Von Braun had the Nazi past, and Teller had the wacko nuclear armaggedon
thing going on. Teller was a jew and I believe his family escaped nazi
persecution in East Europe, and ironically the US never made Von Braun
accountable for all the slave labour he oversaw during his tenure with the
3th reich. So it is rather ironic how these two characters became joined
in Dr. Strangelove.

Still quite a great film, esp. when you consider when it was filmed... the
scene of smallpickens riding the bomb is just a classic.