[rescue] Indigo2 prom password

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Thu May 27 02:18:03 CDT 2004

Hello Geoff,

> Well, I just rescued 2 SGI Indigo2's from the local university
> surplus today for the princley sum of $20 (for both!). One even has
> a gallileo video option with the beakout box and all cables :).

  great! That's a very nice rescue. IMO. :)

> Anyway, Ive just discovered that they both have the prom password
> set. Before I try the brute-force method, does anyone know how to
> clear it?? Gerhard??

  I think there is a jumper on the CPU board which will force the
  machine to let you into the advanced options without entering a
  password. If that works, then you can either set a new one or delete
  the password using 'resetpw' in the Command Monitor. Then power down
  and move the jumper back.

  http://docs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=hdwr&db=bks&srch=&fname=/SGI_EndUser/Indigo2_OG/sgi_html/ch07.html
  http://docs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=hdwr&db=bks&srch=&fname=/SGI_EndUser/Indigo2IM_OG/sgi_html/ch08.html

--