[rescue] 32bit drivers in 64bit solaris?

Mauricio supremedalek at hotpop.com
Wed May 26 20:16:04 CDT 2004

	I recently bought at ebay an acenic gigabit card for the PCI
ultra boxes.  After I installed it in my recently-acquired U30
(Solaris 9), I decided to install the drivers.  When I tried to do
that, I received the message the drivers were 32bit and the OS 64.
Is there a way to make them work together happily?

# pkgadd -d .

The following packages are available:
   1  ALTNalt     Alteon Networks AceNIC Adapter
                  (sparc) 2.1.14

Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process
all packages). (default: all) [?,??,q]:

Processing package instance <ALTNalt> from </export/home/neko/todo>

Alteon Networks AceNIC Adapter
(sparc) 2.1.14
Copyright 1997 Alteon Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Using </> as the package base directory.
## Processing package information.
## Processing system information.
    7 package pathnames are already properly installed.
## Verifying package dependencies.
## Verifying disk space requirements.
## Checking for conflicts with packages already installed.
## Checking for setuid/setgid programs.

This package contains scripts which will be executed with super-user
permission during the process of installing this package.

Do you want to continue with the installation of <ALTNalt> [y,n,?] y

Installing Alteon Networks AceNIC Adapter as <ALTNalt>

## Installing part 1 of 1.
/etc/rcS.d/S29alt.sh
/etc/rcS.d/S31alt.sh
/kernel/drv/alt
/sbin/rcSexpr
/sbin/rcSndd
/var/opt/ALTNalt/.tools/altdb
/var/opt/ALTNalt/.tools/altstat
/var/opt/ALTNalt/.tools/alttb
/var/opt/ALTNalt/.tools/alttune
/var/opt/ALTNalt/man/man7d/alt.7d
[ verifying class <none> ]
## Executing postinstall script.
No 64-bit version of (alt) found; 32-bit version of this driver exists.
32-bit driver (alt) not loadable on 64-bit kernel.
System configuration files modified but alt driver not loaded or attached.

Installation of <ALTNalt> was successful.

The following packages are available:
   1  ALTNalt     Alteon Networks AceNIC Adapter
                  (sparc) 2.1.14

Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process
all packages). (default: all) [?,??,q]: q
#