[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet Questions

Michael Dombrowski ab1244 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 16:09:57 CDT 2004

I've got a couple questions about gigabit ethernet,
jumbo frames, and the like:

I need a good, cheap gigabit switch (copper) with at
least one fiber port for connection to my other
gigabit gear. It needs to support jumbo frames also.

How does jumbo frames work with gear that doesn't
support jumbo frames? Is it an all-or-nothing kind of
deal? I ask because if I get a gigabit switch, I will
want to use jumbo frames, but my 3Com switch with
gigabit does not support jumbo frames, and my DLink
internet router certainly does not.

Anyone know of a way to get cheaper gigabit cards for
Suns? IE, third party cards with good drivers?

Thanks
Mike