[rescue] Crazy viruses from the list...

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Mon May 24 21:27:38 CDT 2004

D.A. Muran-de Assereto wrote:

>It's one of the harvesters, not necessarily a list member.  I get viruses from
>myself all the time, and I KNOW I'm not infected.
>
>Dave
>
>On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:11:02 -0400, Thomas Gallaway wrote
>

>>Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

>>>This is a virus that randomly spoofs From: headers.  It spreads by
>>>reading Outlook's address book then spoofing itself as one of the
>>>addresses listed there.
>>>
>>>I have found it very difficult to trace these back to the infected box.
>>>
>>>The procmail anti-virus script (look on freshmeat.net) I have found to
>>>be helpful.  Along with runing Mutt :-)
>>>
>>>Cordially
>>>

>>Yeah but I dont think is can spoof the received from header (IP of the
>>gateway it originated from).
>>Actually all those are the same in my headers. Received a bunch more..
>>
>>-- Thomas

Funny thing just is I usually NEVER get any spam/viruses on this
account. Just today my inbox has been flooded with 2 different kinds of
viruses and the day be4 I got a bunch of nigerian spam messages.

Also the fact that the virus is using a From: address that is from the
list most likely means it is somebody else on the list that received the
From: email adress somehow.

-- Thomas