[rescue] NeXT OS Disks?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat May 22 09:07:58 CDT 2004

On May 22, 2004, at 3:40 AM, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2004, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> (I read somewhere that the "next-gen" NeXT boxes were going to be
>> PPC...)
>
> I believe the 3rd generation of nextstations were 88K based, there
> were a
> few dual 88k based pizza boxes on the field, I have seen pictures of
> one.
> Prety nifty design, almost the same footprint as the nextstation but
> packing dual 88k.
>
> I don't think NeXT ever made PPC based hardware ever (before the apple
> buy
> out) but I may be wrong. The PPC has some 88K in it so it may be true
> in
> an indirect kind of way....

You may technically be right, but as I recall, the 88K has nothing to
do with the PPC other than in Apple machines the logic board designed
for the 88K had all of its glue logic and such re-used to put a 601 in
when the machine shipped.  I don't think the 88K has anything in common
with the CPU design or even later logic board designs.

Andrew