[rescue] WTB various U10 stuff

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue May 18 07:58:41 CDT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:24:06AM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> > Date: 2004/05/17 Mon PM 09:13:51 GMT
> > To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> > Subject: Re: Re: [rescue] WTB various U10 stuff
>
> > I have ideas about sticking SATA drives in a NetBSD running U5, but I
> > don't know when I will feel comfortable spending that sort of money on
> > something experimental like that.
>
> I'd throw a SATA drive in my U5 in a heartbeat, if I felt the SATA
> controller had a more than fair chance of being supported...
>
> In fact, a search of www.sun.com turns up no hits, and google was not
> promising either...

Note, I said under NetBSD.  NetBSD has drivers for SATA cards, and in
theory any PCI card works in any PCI system running NetBSD, provided
that the card isn't needed for, and doesn't interfere with, booting.  In
reality, there could be many possible reasons for failures.  I'm told
the most likely will be endianness bugs in the drivers.  It isn't a
certainty that it will work, but I want to try it out anyway.