[rescue] WTB various U10 stuff

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon May 17 16:13:51 CDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:16:38PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:59:55PM -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > I believe Jonathan has done 120gigs.  I know Bill did 80 gigs (and his
> > U5 was fast, fast, fast), and I've done 30 gigs.  I would describe
> > performance as at least adequate if you aren't going to be pushing it
> > hard.  But, I can't compare against a U5 with SCSI.
>
> Definitely get one of the "server class" drives, the 7200rpm/8M-cache
> models.

I certainly did not do that in my U5, but I don't think my performance
issues are caused by the disk.  Of course, my U5 is a very lightly used
machine.

I have ideas about sticking SATA drives in a NetBSD running U5, but I
don't know when I will feel comfortable spending that sort of money on
something experimental like that.