[rescue] WTB: Cheap x86 servers

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun May 16 16:04:46 CDT 2004

(I'm helping out a friend here)

I'm looking for a couple of 1U rackmount machines, 733Mhz-1Ghz or so,
with decent RAM, CD-ROM, 10/100 ethernet, and IDE drives for as cheap as
possible.  Anybody have suggestions?  Couple of desktops would be okay as
well, if they're a good name-brand and I can put them on a shelf.

I'd like to be able to get both machines for under $1K if possible.

Intel or AMD doesn't matter, as long as I can load Linux/xBSD/Solaris x86
on them.

(Due to service/support/cost issues, these are replacing a pair of fully-loaded
 SunFire 280R SPARC servers.  The 280Rs work fine, but my friend can't afford
 the hardware support contract and would like to reduce his colocation costs)

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas