[rescue] Challenge L -12V overvoltage?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue May 11 14:56:20 CDT 2004

Francois Dion writes ...

> Hopefully it doesn't go that far. I'll try a few more things tonight
> when I get back home. Thanks for the pointers anyway. Do you have SGI
> doc 007-1732-060? It lists all the error codes and what to do. But it's
> not very verbose...

Yep.  007-1732-060 is the "Owner's Guide" which I got off SGI's website.

The stuff at
http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/chalonyxdiag/diagprocs.html has a bit
more substance to it.

Of course, both expect you to pick up the phone, not a logic probe and a
voltmeter, if anything serious goes wrong.  I expect that between SGI's
desire to sell support services, and their desire not to have ham-fisted
amateurs fscking up the hardware, they really, really wanted you to call
Field Circus when something like this happened.

Of course, that was then, and this is now.  SGI probably wouldn't make a
one-time service call, even if we wanted to spend the money, and putting a
"home computer" Challenge on a service contract seems, well, insane.

-Shel