[rescue] Is off-brand memory for sun machines worth buying?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon May 10 14:51:22 CDT 2004

> From: Micah R L <lassloc at hotpop.com>
> Date: 2004/05/10 Mon PM 06:29:53 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [rescue] Is off-brand memory for sun machines worth buying?
>
> This auction:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58316&item=3095653009&rd=1
> has 2x128mb sticks of RAM for Ultra 1/2/60/80 for 40$! However, it says
> that it's "Third Party". Should I stay away from this? Obviously, it's
> really cheap compared to sun RAM sold elsewhere on eBay, and I could
> really use some RAM for a couple of U2s that I just bought which have no
> RAM.

3rd party RAM is pretty reliable, in my experience - but I've had good luck with ALL ram (Sun and other - no known dead SIMMs/DIMMs in over 10 years of playing ;^)...

$50 ($40 + 10 S/H) is a petty typical price, to be honest - it is a good deal, but that is a price that can be found on Ebay pretty consistently in my exp.

I typically see it at $3/32 Meg DIMM ($25 for 256 Meg), $12/64 Meg ($50 for 256 Meg), and about $25/128 Meg DIMM ($100 for 512 Meg).

My advise would be to see if you can get a break on S/H for multiple orders - $10 for 2 DIMMs is a bit steep, IMHO...

Good luck, Ultra 2s are fun!