[rescue] Solaris 10 and "grid containers" and "zones"

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri May 7 23:08:51 CDT 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:44:47PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Patrick Giagnocavo declared on Friday 07 May 2004 07:25 pm:
> > I have been reading up on the Zones feature in Solaris 10.
> >
> > Basically this looks like "User Mode Linux" done right.  A 1% to 3%
> > performance hit vs. 20 to 30 % with UML.
>
> You might also call it IBM's VM done poorly. :)  VM is something that
> IBM's been "doing right" since the 1970s on S/370 (and later machines)

Fair enough, but this will run on existing Ultra hardware (anything
that can run Sol10), as well as x86 (32bit) and Opteron.

They don't have specialty hardware to implement it with.

> Also, have you seen benchmarks for UML?  From what I've heard, it isn't
> that bad, but I haven't used it myself, and definately haven't crunched
> the numbers.

I have only read that it has 20 to 30% performance hit (from the
author's web page).  Maybe it got faster.

> It does disappoint me that it only is usable on x86 though.  I'd really
> like to be able to use it on (Ultra)SPARC and PowerPC at least.

Huh?  UML only runs on x86?  That is not a good design then... even
Sun will have it on 3 platforms...

--Patrick