[rescue] Great Deal on a Power Challenge in Maryland

Geoff Koehler koehler at shaw.ca
Fri May 7 08:26:39 CDT 2004

Hi All,

Well, shipping to Canada is not that much cheaper, although I think it
will be cheaper from MD to out east.  Canadian Freightways  had the
best prices at the time.  My XL came direct, in its original crate,
from SGI in Mountain View - about 3000 miles.  It cost about $500 for
the shipping and another $230 in tax (GST) that they slap on at the
border.  The hardest part was trying to explain to the customs and
revenue officer exactly what it was.  They want to know "how much is it
worth, son".   I wasnt going to mention that it  cost  over $3,000,000
when new (mine is a 34-way R10K, 8GB ram - lessee, thats $210,000 in
tax).  I ended up printing an ebay auction for a 8-way R44K XL that
sold for $3200 and telling the officer that it was the same
thing.....well,  it was:)

Cheers,
	Geoff

Geoff Koehler