[rescue] Semi-OT: Verizon phone with SSH

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Wed May 5 22:30:11 CDT 2004

William Enestvedt wrote:

>(I hate to be off-topic, but in my own defense, there is an old Rescue thread
>on this that I just can't find right now.)
>   I am interested in a cell phone -- on Verizon, since $job will be paying --
>that I can run SSH on. Does that mean a few specific models, or anything
>that'll run Java? Are any better or worse than others?
>   I know this was discussed in the past. but I don't have good access to my
>saved email.
>   ObRescue: I need it to manage a Sun E3000 wihout leaving my comfy chair on
>the deck this summer. :7)
>-wde
>--
>Will Enestvedt
>Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI

There is some PDA that can run ssh. We have a few Verizon Aircard 555's
(155kbit/s) and a Verizon
Aircard 333 (19.2kbit/s) and SSH is a pain with it. If you can live with
ping times of 300-800ms and
lost packets that it should be fine. But for me especially on the
19.2kbit network SSH is a major pain.
Luckily I do not have to use it too much.

-- Thomas