[rescue] Rescued iMacs looking for input on repair

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Wed May 5 20:02:32 CDT 2004

> Not that I'd keep a stoner around, but us crufty greybeard types grew up
> discharging CRT envelopes with screwdrivers. Snuggle a flat-tip screwdriver
> under the rubber anode cap and swing the shank toward something chassis like
> and *snap*. In fact, if I didn't get a snap I didn't trust it was
> discharged. I've been known to fire up the chassis again to charge the tube
> so I could discharge it again if I didn't get a snap. If I still didn't get
> a snap I would fire up the chassis and leave it *on* and discharge the tube
> to see if I had HV. Sometime after tube HV circuits disappeared I found that
> this could damage circuits. Of course, this was back in the day when the
> integrated circuit was a neat new idea and a company called Intel didn't
> exist. Companies like Transitron ruled the IC world.
>
> Oh, it's time for my Geritol, gota go.

Yeah, I remember the same thing from the days in high school electronics
shop when pretty much everything was tubes. An alligator clip lead with
one end on a flatblade screwdriver and the other on the chassis was all
that was needed to discharge the anode. I did rather like the SNAP!

This was in the same days that the dimmers on the stage were tubes, too.

What was around for computers in tube days? Must have been some...

SteveS