[rescue] Rescued iMacs looking for input on repair

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed May 5 12:26:48 CDT 2004

On May 5, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Wed, 05 May 2004 @ 10:38 -0400, Andrew Weiss said:
>
>> All iMacs from that period have a flyback issue.
>>
>> 233, 333, and 400 DV, DV+, DV SE.  It's the most common age-related
>> failure mode for an all-in-one unit.  Even eMacs have this issue over
>> time.
>>
>> I've replaced over 80 of these boards from several quite disparate
>> models and revisions.
>
> How much is the board, and how involved is the repair?
>
> I see a lot of these as near giveaways, I assume because they appear to
> be "dead".
>

> --
> shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only
> think
> of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]

The repair is not so involved... just need to be safe about it.  Swap
the board in and out in like 30 minutes.  Actually I take that back...
on tray loaders it's really easy.  On slot-loaders it is a Pain in the
Ass.

Boards are like $100-130 sometimes as high as $200 from an Apple Parts
source... make sure you get the exact part number you need.  This is
the 661 prefixed number not the part number on the part.  Get it from
the manual.

If people have serial numbers of the computer or descriptions of the
board I can help.  The board is either green or beige in the tray
loaders.  In Slot loaders you look for logos and the presence or lack
thereof of a Tube switch.  IF the switch exists... make sure it is set
for the tube type.

After that... it's a matter of sitting down with the adjustments
chapter and the Apple Display utility and a light meter and
re-calibrating the new board's screen voltage, cutoff, and drive
values.  With the DV boards one also needs to use the jumper adjustment
tool to save these adjustments to the board's NVRAM.  It's just a wire
from the ground pin on the neck board to the chassis.

Andrew