[rescue] Cisco 5000 parts

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed May 5 01:27:26 CDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:41:19 -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> FWSM?  I've not heard of this product.

It's a PIX on a blade for the 65xx switch. Each blade gives you 5Gbps of
capability and (in theory) you can have multiple blades to go to 10, 15,
or 20Gbps. You also tend to get a lot more physical interfaces to play
with ... we've got 16 ports of gigabit ethernet (fibre), and 48 ports of
10/100 copper ethernet.

> Then again, I like PIXes - see
> http://www.ciscohelp.org/frankenpix.php 8-)

Ask me in 6 months, and I'll probably think they're ok. Just not right
now :)

Although I don't think they work well for large complex networks.