[rescue] Cisco 5000 parts

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Tue May 4 16:49:09 CDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Mike Meredith wrote:

> I thought it was IOS-IOS or CatOS-IOS with no possibility for
> CatOS-CatOS. Mind you I'm not a router geek; the closest I get to
> CatOS/IOS is sessioning into an FWSM (damm things).

I assume you're talking about the MSFC.  A 5000 with RSP does run with a
split personality, CatOS for the switching side and IOS for the routing
side.  They were nice switches (we're finally phasing ours out in the next
couple of months after 5+ years) but there are some annoyances (like MLS
and access lists not playing nicely).

What's your thought on the FWSM?  Cisco is pushing them on us and I'm
leery, and not just because of the price tag.  I've had some bad
experiences with PIXs in the past.

-Janet