[rescue] Cisco 5000 parts

James james at jdfogg.com
Tue May 4 13:29:58 CDT 2004

> I just acquired a Cisco Catalyst 5000.  I think this was the popular
> layer2/3 switch back in the late 90s and is now way past EOL.  I have a
> 5-slot chassis, was wondering if anyone has or knows of some modules for
> it.  I'd like to get my hands on ethernet or FDDI cards for it, cheap.

There is so much for this that shows up on ebay. I have one and love it.

You'll need at least one power supply and a Supervisor card. The Supervisor
is where the brains live. Then you need port cards (pick a topology, I think
everything but Arcnet is supported). If you want layer 3 you'll need an RSP
(route switch processor).