Alpha CPUs, was Re: [rescue] i860 Success

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 4 10:39:35 CDT 2004

Mon, 03 May 2004 @ 22:28 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 06:55:25PM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > .... for Xenix, coherent or even sequent which were x86 based nixes.
>
> ..though Coherent was a pretty crippled *nix.  iirc, the Coherent
> kernel could address only a single 64k memory segment.

The 286 version, yes.  Then they came out with a 386 version.

It had no networking though, and X was a long time coming.

Linux basically killed it off, I think.

I have Coherent 286 and 386, and both manuals.

The OS might not have been stellar, but the manuals are excellent.

> Then again, Thompson & Ritchie's original Unix machine at Bell Labs
> only had 64k ....

So did the machine that created the graphics for Tron.

It's amazing what you can do with little memory.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]