Alpha CPUs, was Re: [rescue] i860 Success

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 4 10:35:13 CDT 2004

Mon, 03 May 2004 @ 16:07 -0400, Andrew Weiss said:

> >Old != bad.  Don't read something in "old and crusty" that isn't there.
> >
> Dude... Crusty == bad.

Hmmm... OK.  I kind of like crusty machines myself...

Also: think sarcasm.  Everyone thinks that if it isn't in the latest PC
sitting on the shelf at Best Buy, it is "old and crusty".

> Sure Alpha EV7 is a 90's or 00's implementation of an 80's design

...which makes it all that much more impressive.

> POWER is sooo much newer in both design and fab.  PPC and power are
> early 90's design and current fab and implementation.

IBM has said that current POWER sellable CPUs are only the tip of the
iceberg.

When AMD and Intel say things like that it is usually competitive FUD,
or is the possibility of some incremental improvement.

With IBM I believe that it not idle bragging, and it is probably
understated.  They have this "promise late, deliver early" philosophy.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]