Alpha CPUs, was Re: [rescue] i860 Success

Björn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Tue May 4 01:43:08 CDT 2004

Phil Stracchino wrote:

>>The EV7 is a 90s implementation, but the Alpha is still an 80s design.
>>EV7 is evolutionary, not revolutionary.  You seem to think that is bad,
>>unless I'm reading you wrong.
>>
>>Each generation of Alpha CPUs had been a better implementation of the
>>Alpha design.
>>
>>Plenty of newer CPU designs are not as good as Alpha,
>
> *cough*P4*cough*
> *cough*Itanium*cough*

Geez...
I've not stood up for anything just hit "del" for most of the
discussion, but I took a chance and read some of the discussions.
Man, have ANY of you actually used ANY Alpha gear?
OK, it's a 70's design (IF YOU TAKE THE PDP's IN COUNT?!), but no way
old by today. Look at all the technology inside that "little" EV7 fab...
70's design? No way, it's the 21th century design, especially built like
no other. The only rival would probably be the POWER series.
And no, Gigga-hurts doesn't count in the RISC camps, unlike
*cough*P4*cough* or *cough*Itanic*cough*, just watch the SPECmarks...

I've probably repeated every word mentioned here before, but I needed to
vent my opinions among all the PeeCee-weeners here.
I thought this was rescue @ SUNHELP, not rescue @ PeeCee-bootcamp.

I'm out.

/Bjorn